Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Monolith




Act 1

"The Stairs"



The day was hot and more than likely the temperature would break ninety-seven again. There was a breeze that ran through the highest ridge of Positano, but it was not present enough to remain hopeful for. 

The boy, the son of a bricklayer, could feel the sweat on his neck and back, and it caused his loose shirt to stick to his skin.

He tried to sit in the dry shade of the homes that surrounded him on the narrow staircase. It was eight hundred and twenty eight steps to the top of the monolith and about seven hundred to the world below.

The boy knew this because he had walked them again and again with his father. After his death, he walked them often enough alone.

The cliffs were mazed with crooked staircases, made from brick in some places, granite in others. Marble here, limestone there, clay tiles, or beams of lumber.

Above him, the door to the tiny apartment where the stranger lived, opened and for the first time the boy saw the man's face. It was hardened, patchy with gruff facial hair and tired eyes.

The stranger looked at the boy, gave a small smile and began the climb of the stairs up where the market would be. A short while later, the stranger returned with a knapsack of food. The boy watched as the stranger poured milk into the saucer outside his door and two stray cats came near to drink it.

"Hot enough for you?" the stranger called down the stairs.

The boy wasn't sure if he was talking to him or the cats so when he looked up he was surprised to see the stranger plodding down the stairs for him.

"I see you out here every day," the stranger said. "Sitting on these stairs. Don't you have friends to play with or girls to chase?"

The boy shook his head.

"Do you speak English?"

"Yes," the boy said quietly.

"So, are you able to answer my question?"

"I do not have any friends," the boy said. "They have abandoned me."

The stranger took a seat down next to him.

"That so? Any reason?"

"I am an embarrassment and unable to climb toward the monolith to prove my manhood."

"I see," said the stranger. "What is up there anyway?"

"It is where you go to find yourself. It's supposed to… show you what you need to see… to take the next step in life."

"And why are you unable to do this? Too many stairs?"

"No," the boy said quietly. "I disgraced my family."

A long silence fell between them.

"I'm sure it couldn't have been --"

"I was in love with my sister --"

"Oh--"

"She wasn't my real sister, my father got another woman pregnant, but we were not supposed to mention that, but it's hard to control feelings sometimes and… well, after my father died…"

The stranger put a hand on his shoulder, and squeezed.

"It's okay," he said. "We all make mistakes."

"But now I can never climb to the monolith and I cannot become a man."

"Listen, climbing to the top of some stairs doesn't make you a man. Not in my book anyway. What makes you a man is by doing what's in here --" He pointed to his chest. "--and by helping people in need. Does that make sense?"

The boy nodded, reluctantly at first.

"How many stairs to the monolith?"

"Eight hundred and twenty eight --"

"It's not too hot out, let's go right now."

"What? No, we can't! There's a door at the top it'll be --"

"C'mon, it'll be good exercise. Who cares what's up there anyway."

The boy smiled then.

"You'd be the first stranger or first person not from here to make the climb successfully. Only two others before you have challenged the monolith."

"What happened to them?"

"The first, I did not meet. He was a bad man. He hurt a friend of my mother and he tried to climb to the monolith and no one saw him again."

"And the other?"

"He was like you -- American -- but cocky, arrogant, my father said. His name was Lucius. Lucius Crane and he made it three hundred steps before he fell and broke his neck on the stairs."

"Well, then." the stranger said. "I suppose we should watch our step."




McCarran International Airport
Nevada
(12 hours before Shove-It Saturday Night)

Angelus stood at his gate, preparing to board, but he still hadn't seen Jessica. Where was she?

"Sir," the stewardess at the kiosk in front of his gate said. "We're boarding in five minutes."

"I heard you the first time," Anj said impatiently. "I'm waiting for someone."

The stewardess gave him a small frown, then was distracted by another passenger asking a question about their ticket.

Finally, he saw her coming down the terminal hallway toward him. He smiled and when she got near he surprised himself by giving her a hug.

"Fashionably late as always," she said with a smile.

"I'd say," Anj replied. "What took you so long?"

"Oh, Sayors was trying to flag me down on the way out of the arena. Damn, that guy is persistent."

"What'd he want?"

"He wanted to know about you of course."

"What'd you tell him?

"Nothing," she said with a big smile. "Well, I gave him enough to chew on anyway."

"Good," Anj said relieved.

"So, and don't get mad, but what is the plan?'

"What do you mean?'

"I don't know if you're aware, but you kinda stole the US title from Flynn and as much as I hate to admit it, the title doesn't belong to you."

"I appreciate the honesty," Anj said with a laugh. "The plan hasn't changed. I want to be at the top and guys like Mark Flynn are just obstacles to get around on my way there. As far as I see it, the title is mine and if Mark wants it so bad he can come ask nicely for it."

"You're the boss," she said. "But I think I'm owed a thank you."

"For?"

"Didn't I tell you good things would happen if you stuck with me?"

Anj gave a wry smile and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Let's just get to Hawaii."




Backstage in the "Super Secret Underground Compound"
(2 hours before Shove-It Saturday Night hits the air)

A group of seven men gather in a semicircle. A man in black slacks and a black polo with an XWF logo on the right pocket addresses them and preps them for the show.

"Alright, boys. Here's the deal. Tonight is gonna be a little bit different than we usually do things. Crowd is going to be at a much higher level than we're used to. Mr. Carver gave us full permission to use force by any means necessary if you see anyone getting out of line."

Polo Man checks his clipboard… looks up… quietly counts…

"Wait, why's there only seven of you? We're supposed to have eight at ring side. Where the hell is Lonnie?"

"Lonnie couldn't make it," a voice says from the back. "Asked me to take his place."

The group turns as a man steps forward out of the dark of the corridor.





"Who the f*** are you?" Polo Man asks.

"Name's Frank Boles. I'm filling in for Lonnie."

"Lonnie didn't tell me--"

"It doesn't matter what Lonnie said. I'm here and I'm ready to work."

Polo Man hesitates for a second, then relents.

"Get yourself wired up. We're going to go over the seating of the crowd."

"Sure thing," Frank smiles.


Episode Nine


Subject: Angelus

Date recorded: 2/3/13

Location: Benjamin Crane's mother's house

"Calm Like a Bomb"

Man, what a week huh? Amazing how things can just change overnight like that, but for me, I'm not surprised. You see I did exactly what I said I was going to do and that was walk out of Las Vegas your United States champion.

And I did that, and, low and behold, I picked up some other hardware too.

From day one since I walked in here I have proven to everyone in the world that I am the whole, damn, show. And I know that hasn't sat well with a few people, but hey, if you're not pissing people off you're not doing it right.

So, without further ado let's talk about our good friend Benji Crane, shall we?

Oh, you have no idea who I'm talking about?

Yeah, I didn't either. 

It appears that Benji would much rather hang out in fetish night clubs making out with trannies than actually preparing to fight on Wednesday Warfare.

I saw your little video, Benji. It appears that you want to say something to my face. I'm right here, about to enjoy some nice lasagna that Mama Crane is making for dinner. She seems like a nice lady. I'm sure she signed your permission slip so you could go on that little field trip of yours.

Sorry, I'm getting sidetracked. I'm supposed to be worried, right? 

You put the "X" in XWF. I forgot.

Funny, I figured you'd have put the "F' for failure…

Anyway, since you seem intent on learning about me, how about you swing on by after dinner here and we'll have a lesson. It'll be called "Kicks 2 Faces 101" It's an introductory course

Study the textbook hard, Benji. Use that little pea sized brain that's banging around in the big cranium of yours.

Then, bring yourself down to Warfare on Wednesday. Have your mom here pack you a bagged lunch in your Ultimate Warrior lunchbox. 

I'll meet you in the center of the ring, Benji.

It's final exam time.


No comments:

Post a Comment