Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Monolith (Part 2 of 2)


Act 2

"The Future is Just Like You Imagined"



The stars look different here.

Some of the constellations haven't quite filled in yet.

In other spots there are stars where I'm not used to seeing them.

I didn't notice that at first.

I was too busy trying to figure out how I got here and how to get home.

I don't do that much anymore

Here, in Positano, I watch the stars every night.

I tell myself it's because I like looking at them, because it calms me.

But that's not it.

I'm restless.

I've lost direction.

I see the boy climbing up the stairs behind me.

He's winded, exhausted, as am I.

There's a door here at the top of the monolith.

I'm told if I go through it I'll see what I'm supposed to be.

Is that possible?

I don't know. It's hard to believe.

But I'm going to do it. I have to, I tell myself.

Whatever is on the other side of that door -- good or bad.

I have to.

It's a challenge.

The start of something -- a journey.

And it's the end of something else entirely.

I step to the door and place my hand on the metallic handle and pull…

…it opens…

The boy gasps.

A cold gust of wind greets my face and I close my eyes to it.

 I turn to look at the boy and I think to say goodbye, but I wave instead.

And I step through.

There is darkness, followed by color and shapes and sounds.

I lose feeling momentarily and the hairs on my neck rise.

The air is colder now and I let my eyes turn down.

The door snaps shut behind me.

I'm beyond the threshold now.

Forever changed.




Episode 10


Subject: Angelus

Date Recorded: 2/5/13

Location: Unknown

I've been wondering if Benji Crane has a PR person who can stop him from making a complete ass of himself on a consistent basis.

I got news for you Benji, this isn't the movies. 

You don't get to walk out the hero. 

You're one of the nameless goons who gets kicked throw a windshield or however you want to imagine it playing out.

Never let them see you coming, huh?

Benji, I saw you coming a mile away. 

I smelled the stink on your breath and the piss in your Hulk Hogan underwear the minute you stepped in the building. 

You're just another cog in the wheel. 

Another bee in the hive trying to break out on your own.

Real talk, Benji. Let's look at your life expectancy here. 

Three more weeks? Six months? Maybe less, maybe more.

Are you getting it? No one sees you lasting here and you're either going to flame out or your lack of in ring ability is going to get you killed.

Let last week be a lesson to you. 

You failed. 

You couldn't hack it.

You don't have what it takes to make it here. 

So, go ahead, keep regurgitating your own material.

No one cared the first time. No one cares now.

And if you think anyone is going to buy your merchandise you're even more delusional than I thought. 

I give it three weeks before the XWF ships off a crate of "Monolith" merch to some third world country and little Nanook is wearing a Benjamin Crane t-shirt as he washes himself in in a storm drain.

You going to go talk about this in a promo now, Benji?

Talk about how you're going to go all the way?

How you're going to try to match wits and skill with a man as disciplined as I am?

Maybe somewhere on Earth 2, there's a comic book reference for you, Benji, your'e the world champ and everyone just adores you.

Sadly, that sounds like a fantasy world. 

Kind of like the one you live in in that motel you got there.

Did you wince? Did that sting a little? I've often found when you're a wreck of humanity, that is often the case.

No doubt you're going to try and bury me under assertions that you're better than that. 

That you've got everything all planned out.

Three little seconds, right?

Your road to superstardom is all paved and awaiting for the asphalt to harden.

Ah, but the truth is much simpler, Benji.

The truth is...

You're never going to walk that road.

You're just another name on my list. Another name that is going to fall before me.

So head to the back of the pack, Benji. It's better for you there. Things are simpler. And let's be honest, the lows aren't quite as low when you stop trying to be something that you aren't.

It's real easy for you to pick out everyone else's flaws, isn't Benji?

But have you actually looked at yourself?

Take a good long look.

You might find you don't like what you see.



No comments:

Post a Comment